Grilled cheese is always fun for breakfast or snacks. Add some onions and you will get some extra flavor.
What you need:
- Grated sharp cheddar and Gruyère cheese – 3 cups
- Crusty bread slices
- 1 large red onion halved and sliced thinly
- Bourbon – 1 tbsp
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Brown sugar – 1 tbsp
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Ground black pepper – ¼ teaspoon
- Unsalted and softened butter – 1 ½ teaspoon + 4 tbsp
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Keep the heat over medium; add onion and stir occasionally for 20 minutes. When the onion has softened add salt, pepper, and sugar. Then add bourbon and 1 ½ teaspoon butter and stir to melt.
- Toss the cheeses in a bowl and mix well. Then divide into 4 equal portions, press to fit the cheeses flat into the bread slices.
- Take 4 slices of bread and spread the onion mix on the tops evenly. Put one cheese patty on top of it and cover the top with another bread slice, drizzle with 1 ½ teaspoon butter on one side of each bread.
- Over low medium heat, place the sandwiches on a skillet. Keep the buttered side down and cook until golden-brownish. Put another 1 ½ teaspoon butter on the top side of the sandwiches and flip them over. Cook until the cheese has melted and the bread slices are brownish golden.